Finishing the floor with tiles is very popular design method today. The material has a number of advantages, but above all, it is appreciated for resistance to moisture and temperature extremes. A wide variety of colors, textures can give a sophisticated look to any room. Tile varies by species, each of which has unique characteristics. Read more in detail in our article “Types of ceramic tiles”.
The correct choice of tile
Finish tiled floor starts with the right choice of material. It is necessary to individually highlight some important points that can affect the quality of work.
- First of all, tile can sometimes be slightly different in size (just a few millimeters). But even so, the joints between the pieces will vary in width. How to find a defect? It is quite simple, put some tiles to the end side first, then sideways on any flat surface. If the top level of the stack is smooth – it’s okay. Possible deviation is always indicated by manufacturer on the packaging. Our purpose is to check the accuracy of the written information.
- Secondly, the shape of the tiles is not always of perfectly aligned proportions that ultimately can lead to the bending joints. How to check? Take nine tiles and lay out of them one large rectangle (three tiles in a row) on a flat surface. Then look at the gaps between them. Allowable rate is 1 millimeter. But better, of course, when they do not exist.
- Third, sometimes also it happens that the slab has a concave or curved surface. What do we do in that case? Take a ruler or any other tool with a smooth edge and adjusts to the material. Maximum permissible gap is about 0.5 millimeters. Try to check all the packages with the material before buying. If one consignment has both normal and defective packages – it is a sign of poor quality shipment.
- Fourth, the thickness of the tiles is also important. Check the following: on a flat surface is necessary to put a few tiles in a row and attach the ruler at the top. If there are no gaps between the surfaces – it is all right.
- Fifth, the material surface should be flat at the back side either. But what for if these defects will be hidden by solution anyway? It is quite simple thing: these protruding elements increase the expenditure of the adhesive composition and complicate the work. Checking method is the same as the front part.
And finally, if the tile is of glazed type, make sure you scrutinize the uniformity of the material’s color, lack of streaks or whitish edges. Also, when buying the material, note the tiles belong to the same consignment by both the caliber and the tone.
Marking on the packaging tiles
Typically, the package has a variety of icons that can briefly describe the material. If the same icon appears twice – this means characteristic is amplified.
Finishing the floor with tile
There are many schemes of laying the tiles, but three of them are considered to be the most popular. “In extension”, “seam-to-seam” and “diagonal” are among them. Each method has its own characteristics. For more details with all the nuances and ways of finishing the floor you can read on our web site.