The important point is the choice of the starting point of the work. It can be used metal profile or wooden rail as support and directing line for the tiles, so as it the location of the tiles should be carefully planned. Since the walls could be not ideally smooth, it is necessary to conduct a horizontal guide line for a start along which the support strip is nailed to maintain direction of the first row. Then you should mark a number of vertical bars from each side. It is desirable and expedient to put only whole tiles along the edges of the windows and external corners, so you should clearly determine the location of the tiles before laying. Below we’ll review the wall tiling advice and methods in more detail.
There are several options for laying tiles on a wall:
- “Seam in seam” – this laying variant form perpendicular to each other rows (horizontal and vertical). It should be noted that with this method of stacking tiles permits the least error.
- “Overlapping”. In this case, the lower row of seam should coincide with the middle of the top row of tiles. In this way the tiles are laid only in horizontal rows but unlike the embodiment of “the seam in seam” operation process is much easier, since the vertical deflection is not so noticeable.
- “Diagonal”. It is the most hard way of stacking, most often used when facing a large surface. Tile seams form strictly perpendicular lines. Seam line should form a 45 ° angle with the floor. The work begins with the installation of indicating tiles. The level takes horizontal direction and plumb takes vertical one. It is recommended to lay indicating tiles on the adhesive which hardens substantially quicker than the cement. Tiles are laying in the bottom up method. Support rail is mounted at the lower part of the wall, and on the edges of the facing surface we should set the rail-pitches of no less than 2-meters width. Then, between the side rails we pull on horizontal cord which would guide the horizontal rows of tiles.
Less popular and innovative ways of laying tile on the wall
- “Modular Grid” – a more sophisticated version, which is perfect for small rooms and premises. You must first choose the pattern and color of the material. It is advisable to make a scratch of the pattern, where you should specify the size of the tiles and joints.
- “Herringbone” is considered to be non-standard option of laying wall tile. It is not so often found in dwellings, such as, for example, “”seam in seam” method”, but this method has its own charm. The process of laying of “herringbone” is visually similar to the technology of parquet laying. Thus only we use rectangular tiles. Such a method of tile stacking decorates rooms with irregular geometric shape excellently. Although, more usually “herringbone” decorates the floor in a room, it can be applied to the wall. But it is important to properly fit into the overall design of the room.
Glue for tile and seams
Beginners are recommended to use a thin layer of glue at the wall, the desired thickness is obtained by using a notched trowel. If the tiles size is 15 x 15 cm use a spatula with the 6 mm tooth depth. If the size is 30 x 30 cm – use 9 mm depth. Do not worry about the poor grip strength of tiles with the surface of the small adhesive layer, the main thing os to choose the right glue (it all depends on a finishing surface: plaster, plasterboard, etc.). The surface under the tiles should be smooth, but not smooth as glass, the adhesive layer should “grab” something, so leave the wall surface rough.
When using the small tiles, joints should be made narrower than if using larger tiles. But joints must not be already 2mm (as it will be difficult to fill in the solution) and not wider 10 mm (wide joints lead to shrinkage and cracks). But there is a seamless or ratified (obtained by cutting edges on the special equipment) method of tile stacking. But usually this one is only used when tile cladding floors.
Even the simplest tiles can make a beautiful decor: you can experiment with the color, size and orientation of tiles. To do this just put the tile on a flat surface, let’s to say in “random”. Just when selecting tiles it is recommended to select the same thickness – it will greatly facilitate the process of laying. Also, do not forget that the tiles can have square edges or more “wavy” ones. Integrated use of these tiles will lead to difficulties in the work, so to facilitate this stacking process, use a viscous solution.