Far not every apartment’s rooms have the correct geometric shape. Often we left one-by-one with the need to refresh the design of the narrow bedroom. How to correct the geometry of the space? How to decorate a narrow bedroom? There are many design techniques and tricks that allow you to visually change the geometry of space, creating a cozy and beautiful room. Let’s consider the main points.
The plan on paper will help to correctly arrange all the interior items. If the area of a narrow room, allows you to put other furniture except for a berth, then it is worth taking into account a few simple rules:
- do not place objects along long walls, otherwise the already narrow bedroom will resemble a narrow corridor;
- the U-shaped arrangement of furniture is an excellent option for a narrow children’s bedroom. In this case, all functional will be concentrated in one zone, and there will be enough free space in the other one;
- in a very narrow room, the optimal solution will be the L-shaped arrangement of furniture pieces;
- asymmetrical arrangement and objects of different heights visually expand the room.
Where to put the bed?
Everyone tries to choose the most comfortable bed. However, in a narrow bedroom, its placement can be problematic. In a similar room it is better to install a bed either along, or across a long wall. In the second case, there is enough free space for other furniture, but for a double bed it is important to leave a passage on both sides – 80 cm from each side will be enough. If it is not a problem for you to climb over a neighbor, then you can leave the passage only on one side. So, you will save extra space.
A good solution for a small room is to install a bed along a long wall. Excellent, if there is room for passageways on the sides, but then placing other interior items can be problematic.
In addition to standard solutions, the bed can also be installed in a niche, behind partitions or screens. Definitely, choosing a bed placement in a small narrow room is always a compromise between functionality and convenience.
Design of a narrow bedroom: what are the professionals advising?
The correct design will help make the room not only cozy and beautiful, but also visually expand it. Here an important role is played by the color solution and other tricks of designers, following which one can achieve an amazing result:
- combine warm and cold shades. Paint short walls in warm colors (for example, terracotta, peach); and long ones – in cold tones, such as blue, snow-white, light lilac and others;
- use bright details. It’s a great idea to focus on broad wallpaper or painted stripes. So, if the window is located on a short wall, it can be decorated with curtains with horizontal stripes;
- Avoid vertical strips and drawings: they will make the room even narrower;
- give up all unnecessary, do not clutter the already narrow room with cabinets and other massive furniture;
- hang a mirror on one of the long walls – this will visually expand the boundaries of the room;
- if you paste one wall with the “relevant” wallpaper, it can significantly optimize the space;
- think over the lighting: in a narrow room you need to organize several fixtures. Do not clutter the window opening. The abundance of sunlight will make the bedroom more spacious.
Of course, the main element of any bedroom is a bed. But sometimes not every homeowner can do without such items as a closet, chest of drawers, a dressing table. And even a desktop with a chair is an important element of bedroom arrangement for some people. With a competent approach in a narrow room, the necessary items can be arranged harmoniously. In this case it is worth giving preference to multifunctional furniture:
- you can combine a dressing table and a desktop. Contemporary manufacturers can propose many interesting two-in-one variants. For more space savings, you can also include a bedside table here;
- the hinged desktop will take up very little space, and after the completion of the work it can be easily removed;
- does the bedside table with the lamps fit the room? The optimal solution in this case is the arrangement of a shelf above the headboard with lamps or lighting.
Zoning of a narrow bedroom
In a narrow long bedroom, you can safely use zoning techniques. Delimitation of space with a screen, partition, small table, and sofa is an excellent solution to solve the problem of a narrow room.
Is there no way to use the cardinal methods of distribution the space? You can try conditional, using a carpet or a contrasting floor finish.
It is better not to use solid partitions from ceiling to floor. This can significantly obscure the room.
Design of the narrow bedroom. How to correct the geometry of the space: other tricks you can use
The bed can be installed on a special podium, which, in addition to the aesthetic function. It can fulfill the practical role of the cabinet to store the necessary things.
By painting the walls in different tones, you can significantly rectify the geometry of space. It will distract the view from one of the long walls, visually pushing the boundaries of the room.
As for wall coverings, feel free to use wallpaper with a small pattern, rhombuses. The horizontal strip will expand the room, but lower the ceiling.
Leave the ceiling white – this will visually lift it.
Use oval, round carpets or a few compact mats. A floor covering with a transverse pattern will make the geometry of the narrow room more correct.
Massive cabinets can be replaced with small shelves or drawers under the bed.
If you think that in a bedroom, besides a luxurious bed, there should not be any extra items, boldly occupy a free area with the bed. It is enough to leave a small passage and a place for a bedside table. The ideal option for an elongated room is a round bed.
We hope this article will help you to nicely and comfortably equip a narrow bedroom.