The idea of arranging a berth on a raised platform was born in Japan. In the distant past, the Japanese used space under the mattress for storing clothes, dishes, weapons, various valuables. Nowadays, a podium bed can also be used to equip storage systems. But this does not end its function – the sleeping place on the dais may act as a zoning element, visually change the shape and size of the room, reorganize the space and simply serve as the main element, the highlight of the interior. If you are planning to build a catwalk or purchase a ready-made solution for the arrangement of a sleeping place on a raised platform, then our large selection of catching photos can help you make a decisive choice and be inspired by design ideas. So, let’s dive into the topic and explore what is podium bed. Luxury or functional interior element?
Classification of the podium beds
The bed-podium stands alone in its segment of types of cabinet furniture. It drastically differs from typical furniture items. It is a structure created on a special frame supplemented by supporting elements. As a rule, the creation of this skeleton is carried out with the help of logs located at a certain distance from each other. The distance is completely dependent on the supposed load on the podium, because in many ways it will perform the functions of the floor. It will bear the same load. There are lot of options for the execution of the podiums, their shapes and sizes. The functional components of sleeping places created on elevation are also different. Let’s take a closer look at the main variations of the execution of the podium bed for a modern bedroom or other room interior.
In general, all the podium beds can be divided into two large groups:
- traditional structures in the form of a frame made of wood, trimmed with decorative material (plywood, panels, carpet and even fur), on top of this design is a mattress;
- The second option is related to the possibility of embedding various niches into the frame, which can be used depending on the needs – storage systems, arrangement of a roll-out bed etc.
Regardless of the type of construction of the sleeping place on the dais, such structures have a height of 20 to 50 cm – it all depends on the design and functional background. Such interior items as podium beds can be real complexes of different components – the sleeping place smoothly turns into a working place, combines a rest area and seating areas, the whole construction is equipped with storage systems, lighting is built in, communications inside the box are hidden.
Also, all podiums for the organization of a sleeping place can be divided in terms of functional accessories for:
Technical podiums help to hide various communications. They also serve as storage systems of various modifications. Decorative structures are responsible for the zoning of the room and the emphasis on the sleeping place (can distract from the unsuccessful architecture of the room, the irregular shape of the space). Combined constructions assume the connection of not only functions, but also entire segments. For example, the podium can be used as a platform for the arrangement of a workplace or a dressing room, and the bed is located in the bowels of a wooden box and pushed out if necessary. Also, the upper part can serve as a sleeping place, and at the bottom there will be a complex system of places for storage. At the moment, all the options for using a podium bed are quite popular.
The choice of the type of construction of the podium and its design will depend on the following criteria:
- Dimensions, shape of the room and ceiling height;
- the number and size of the sleeping place that needs to be equipped;
- need for adjoining of functional zones or vice versa – delimitation of segments;
- the need for storage systems;
- need for the arrangement of additional places for rest and sleep, working areas;
- style of decoration, the chosen color palette;
- financial budget.
All the advantages and functions of sleeping places on the dais
The opinions of designers about the installation of the bed-podium are ambiguous. Half of all specialists belong to those who think that the sleeping place on the dais is suitable only for spacious rooms. After all, a considerable difference in the height of the structures substantially changes the image of the room, it is strikingly evident. Opponents of this position argue that the podium helps to save space and is great for small rooms of irregular shape, for example, for long and narrow rooms with high ceilings. But one thing is obvious – the podium bed is incredibly functional, practical and always becomes the focal point of any interior. In addition, the sleeping place on the dais will always be warmer than its traditional counterpart, located on the floor.
So, the advantages of the podium beds include the following points:
- Visual correction of the wrong shape of the room. For this purpose, you can use the podiums of various modifications. In some cases, even the use of platforms with rounded edges or in the form of a sector is appropriate.
- The bed-podium perfectly zoned space. No ambiguity. The zone for sleep and rest will be clearly expressed. With the help of this zoning, you can fix an uncomfortable layout of the room.
- The multifunctionality of the sleeper located on the elevation is due to, first of all, the possibility of arrangement a large number of capacious storage systems. Depending on the size of the sleeping place (single or double mattress is located on the elevation), the podium space can be transformed from a roomy chest of drawers to a full dressing room. In this case, a system with a folding floor (rare) or drawers, swing doors (the most popular option) can be used.
- The bed-podium helps to save space. In a small room, where there is not enough space for a bulky cabinet, and there is no possibility to arrange a separate sleeping place (bed) and resting zone (sofa), the podium construction will help to perform several functions simultaneously.
- Wide choice of variations of design execution, both the podium itself and the way to arrange a sleeping place. Podiums of different shapes and sizes (and there are ready-made variants for sale as well), with different fillings and choice of performance material, can satisfy the stylistic needs of any interior.
- Ability to decorate the platform with a bed at your own discretion. Someone decides to build in the backlight (spot or LED-tape), somebody else needs a soft podium coating (you can use carpet, artificial fur), while others appreciate unique design of the whole design.
DIY assembly of a bed-podium
If you have the basic skills of working with wood, free time and some tools, you can build a podium bed without referring to professionals. But only if the implied structure is not too complicated in technical equipment and design. First, you need to determine the height of the podium, based on the height of the ceiling in the room. It is also necessary to determine the location of the future structure (to avoid injuries, the podium should not be located at the entrance; in particular, this refers to the children’s rooms).
Next, you should compose a design of the construction (in any convenient way for you – on paper or in a special program-designer). At this stage it is important to finally decide on the podium filling – whether it’s just an elevation for installing the mattress or inside there will be a large storage space or a lot of small drawers.
As a rule, manufacturers use sheets of particleboard, wooden beams and finished furniture boards for the construction of the podium. It is important to correctly calculate the thickness of the bar based on the height and weight of the podium. It is generally believed that the total load of the frame and platform should not exceed the value of 400-600 kg (up to 1300 lbs.) per square meter of area.
Here is an example of making a podium with a length of 2 m, a width of 1.5 m and a height of 0.5 m. It provides three drawers on the front side and niches for organizing storage systems with hinged lids in the area of fastening to one of the walls.
The algorithm of action will be as follows:
- frame, the parameters of which correspond to the dimensions of the bed, is constructed from the bars (logs) with dimensions 50×50 mm;
- a gap of 1-2 cm between the wall and the logs is left for the placement of high-quality soundproof material;
- the structure is being supplied with vertical support posts;
- securing the upper lags and struts;
- after the frame of the longitudinal and lateral fins has been finally assembled, proceed to its sheathing with the help of chipboard (or OSB); usually the thickness of the skin sheets is in the range from 15 to 18 mm;
- the lining is made on the front and top;
- in places where niches are installed, piano loops are mounted for future covers;
- the bottom drawers are installed with the help of ball rails (it is necessary to have an ability of full extension);
- final design of the podium (many people opt for a carpeting);
- installation of a bed.
And in conclusion
So, arranging a bed-podium in one of the rooms of your home will be justified in case;
- you want to create a unique interior with a well-defined coordination center;
- you need to visually change the wrong shape of the room;
- you need to zonate the sleeping segment in a combined space;
- your home is located on the ground floor and the floors are not equipped with a heating function;
- you do not have the option of installing a roomy storage system in a small bedroom;
- In the children’s room it is necessary to leave as much free space as possible for active games, but one or two berths and several storage systems must be located.