DIY Interior decoration at home is always performed together with wiring and plumbing works. Thus it is necessary to take into account the materials and the details of every single premise. Otherwise, all the work on the interior decoration can be a waste of time and money. Getting to repair, it is necessary to know all the nuances of finishing materials requiring certain preparatory work.
DIY Interior Decoration. Getting started
This work begins with a rough finish. First of all, we need to carry out the communications , wiring, heating, ventilation and other erection and plumbing work. Then the finished surface (ceiling or wall) must first be leveled using plaster and cleaned (sanded). As for floor, the preparatory work may differ depending on the material from which it is made (wood, concrete, etc.).
Proceeding to the ceiling decoration
Let us examine the details and sequence of actions. If you:
- painting the ceiling – it is worth remembering a few ways of applying material on the surface. They may differ depending on the type of paint;
- Wallpapering – depending on its type, pasting process may also widely vary. For example, a liquid wallpaper is not glued but applied as plaster.
- Installing the hanging ceiling – it does not require the preparatory work . Moreover, this type of trim is able to hide all the bumps or wiring. False ceiling in turn, can be of tension type, lath, modular or made of plasterboard.
- Applying other types of finishes: tile, wood, metal, glass or decorative stone. Each material has its advantages and disadvantages. We recommend you to approach carefully to the selection.
Each material is:
- chosen according to the surface;
- selected individually for each type of the premise. After all, not every type of wallpaper can be used in the kitchen or bathroom.
- to avoid unnecessary costs, it is necessary to adhere to the correct operation sequence. So, for example, the installation of a stretch ceiling is usually transferred to the last stage of renovation, when all the finishing work has been completed.
Then it comes the wall finishing
After pre-treatment of the walls, you can proceed directly to the finish. If you:
- Depending on the type of paint these or other methods of application can be used. For example, textured paint is applied by special rolls, which alter the texture of the surface;
- Gluing wallpaper. You must comply with certain processing conditions: the room temperature need to be at least 18 degrees, no drafts. Otherwise, the wallpaper will not have time to dry and would peel off the next day.
- Laying tiles. You need to remember a few important rules: tiles in the bathroom and the kitchen should be resistant to aggressive environments. Ceramic tile is laid only with the glue, it is not necessary to experiment with cement mortar. This type of work requires care and patience: the correct preparation of the adhesive mixture, dosing and level compliance.
- Using of drywall and panels. There is no need to make the alignment of the walls. This type of decoration is attached to the pre-prepared metal profile. It is able to conceal the defects of the walls, wiring, ventilation, insulation, etc.
- It is also possible to finish the walls with other, less popular materials: decorative plaster, stone, cork, wood and so on.
- the bathroom and the kitchen is necessary to select a special decoration materials, more resistant to moisture and aggressive environments;
- Not all finishing materials suitable for residential areas. For example, the PVC panels in the bedroom not the best choice;
- Each material has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and on the basis of which the choice is made.
The last stage – the flooring
The screed must dry completely before laying the flooring. Let us proceed to an analysis of the material. If you:
- Laying the laminate. It will last for years to come with proper selection. For example, the 31 class in the bedroom is almost eternal. And it is best suited water-resistant type of laminate in the bathroom and the kitchen.
- Laying the linoleum. It can be applied in two ways: dry and glue. Improper installation of the material will have rumpled appearance.
- It is necessary to choose the right type for different premises. For example, glazed tiles is able to become a real “ice rink” in the bathroom floor.
- Making a self-leveling floor. It is recommended to level the floor in advance to save money. Since the material is rather expensive, pre-equalization reduces the screed flow. The peculiarity of such a finish is a possibility of a 3D image.
- Other – there are other options for floor finishes: parquet, cork, decorative stone or glass.
- At first, you’ll need to make a precise calculation of the material for a specific area;
- It is recommended to buy material with a slight margin of one shipping. Otherwise, the material may differ;
- Space factor plays an important role: temperature, humidity, and traffic load of the floor covering is always taken into consideration when selecting the material.
- Applying of some materials requires experience. For example, the tiles, which have been laying starting from the door will bring you a “pleasant” surprise in the middle of the process.
DIY interior decoration at home is quite a long and painstaking process. You can get the desired result (and thus a good idea to shave of money) only by following all the instructions and recommendations. We hope that you will find all the necessary information on our site.