Laminate floor finishing is a modern and practical decor solution. The popularity of laminate flooring has increased dramatically in recent years because of the unique decorative qualities. And with the advent of domestic producers price for the goods is not high, but the quality is not inferior to international brands.
- Laminate floor finishing types, description, properties in detail
- Reviewing the standard laminate structure
- Good to know
- Fixing a scratch on the laminate
- Removing stains from laminate
Let’s review the main advantages of the laminate through which it has gained considerable popularity:
- durability – namely high resistance to abrasion, resistance to loads (you will not notice the dents from furniture legs after moving the old cupboard);
- imitation rare wood species – the decorative ability of the material: high-gloss, textured, and varied in color and texture coating to satisfy even the most demanding owner;
- ease of care – the laminate is not necessary to paint, varnish, prime, scrape, etc. over time. A damp cloth and a vacuum cleaner – it’s all you need in care for laminate;
- hygiene – the smooth glossy surface will not allow dirt to remain inconspicuous. In addition, there are many inexpensive detergents designed for this floor covering;
- ease of installation and repair – see instructions for installation, virtually everyone can install laminate without the participation of specialists, the only condition is a smooth surface;
- resistance to fire – in spite of its composition, a laminate barely flammable. It may be noted that a fully burnt cigarette can hardly leave a trace on the surface.
The structure of the material consists of four layers, although there are subspecies with a more complex structure (polyvinylchloride base comprising waterproof components):
- stabilizing bottom layer (which protects the board from deformation);
- carrier layer (HDF board);
- decorative layer (imparts color and texture);
- an upper protective layer (or acrylic melamine resin).
Laminate flooring has a classification of durability and resistance to moisture, so consider the room where it will be laid during selection. It is important to remember that not all types are suitable for the kitchen or bathroom. Smalldesignideas has some articles that can help you choose the right type of laminate. Read more in “modern interior design laminate use”.
- In fact, laminate is a paper substrate in a protective wrapper, so do not wash it with plenty of water. The top layer although declared moisture-proof, but nevertheless its junctions is vulnerable to moisture.
- Stacking is carried out only on a flat and dry surface.
- All the laminate must lie down in the room before installing during the day to take the room temperature.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations: a method of laying, the humidity in the room, load (whether it is an ordinary bedroom or office, where no one takes off his shoes).
To remove a scratch from the laminate, you need to purchase a special wax crayon of the appropriate color. You can find them in a hardware store or household chemicals hypermarket. For the first time, you should run the wax pencil up the scratch several times until it is completely filled with wax. Afterward, you should remove excess with a soft cloth. Besides, you shouldn’t step on the treated area for two hours. If the scratch is too deep for the pencil to fail, you should buy a laminate putty from your hardware store. First, you must rinse and wipe dry the damaged area of the floor, then you can apply the putty with a rubber trowel. You can remove the excess mixture with a dry cloth.
The main rule of removing stains from laminate flooring is to act instantly. Try to clean the surfaces right away and don’t wait for the stain to dry. Follow the recommendations and you will return the floor to its original appearance:
- food and alcohol stains, chocolate, and grease you can remove with conventional dishwashing detergent. After removing the dirt, be sure to rinse off the soap with clean water and wipe the surface dry;
- the felt-tip pen, lipstick, nail polish, or shoe polish can be cleaned with nail polish remover. Then you should wipe the laminate with a damp cloth and ventilate the room;
- gum, wax, and resin first you should freeze with ice cubes and then remove using a silicone spatula;
- shoe marks can be removed with a stationery eraser;
- a cotton pad moistened with alcohol will cope with spilled brilliant green.
Laminate is a beautiful and practical finish. With proper care, it will serve for more than a dozen years. Clean your floor regularly and follow the guidelines. It helps to keep the floor intact for years to come.