Stretch ceiling is a modern version of the ceiling decoration in the form of a panel, fixed on a plastic or metal profile on the ceiling. It combines bright style, safety, and security, which certainly is an excellent choice for a modern fashionable interior. So, let’s go to know more about stretch ceilings: types, advantages, disadvantages, and photos to decorate our discussion in a more visual fashion.
- easy installation: does not require pre-treatment (plastering, leveling, priming, etc.);
- provides protection of your apartment from water leaks from above;
- aesthetic appearance;
- allows you to implement numerous design solutions;
- the stretch ceilings installation process does not leave dirt and debris, so the installation can be postponed to the last stage of repair;
- masking effect: allows you to hide communications, electrical wiring, wall roughness, and defects.
Types of Stretch Ceilings
Produces only two types of stretch ceilings: seamless fabric, and on the basis of PVC vinyl film.
Polyvinylchloride stretch ceiling (PVC)
The ceiling is based on vinyl film. In this case, you should heat the film sheet with a gas gun to 70 degrees temperature in the process of mounting. Then you should stretch and fasten the softened film on the pre-prepared frame. The range of colors and textures is simply stunning: suede, satin, mat satin, etc. Of course, you definitely find something appropriate for your apartment.
The most common texture – matte, glossy, and satin.
- Glossy. The main difference is a mirror effect that allows you to visually increase the ceiling. But the lack of glossy ceiling is a more noticeable seam line on a background of shiny fabric.
- Matt сeiling easily accentuate any style of interior. Also, you can easily choose it for a classic option. Wherein, the absence of reflections and mirroring on the surface contribute to the accurate color you choose.
- Satin. The surface of its sheet is smooth but similar to the matte stretch ceiling. Moderate light reflection betrays pearlescent shade of the ceiling. Therefore, it will match any interior design.
Textile (seamless) stretch ceiling
Seamless ceiling. Installation takes place without heating and further processing. The main thing is the textile web polystyrene yarn impregnated with a mixture of polymer (polyurethane). Unlike PVC, it does not “fear” low temperatures. It is also available in different colors.
Disadvantages seamless ceilings:
- relatively high cost;
- the ceiling has a weak ability to retain water comparing to PVC.
Disadvantages of PVC Ceiling:
- Installation is carried out only with special equipment.
- vulnerability to mechanical damage;
The average time of stretch ceilings installation can take up to few hours. First of all, the installation of the web to the frame depends on the type of stretch ceiling. This can be the fillet or harpoon method – for vinyl type, rope, or clothespin – for cloth-based one. Second, you should assemble a plastic or metal frame in advance and fixed by a plug-screw method. At the same time, the gap between the wall and the finished ceiling is concealed by a decorative insert made of flexible or rigid PVC. It should be noted that all dirty repair work in the room you should carry out before the ceiling installation. To sum up, the stretch ceiling has its advantages and disadvantages as anyone else. Just follow your desire especially it connects with the renovation of your apartment.