Parquet is a natural floor covering, consisting entirely or surface of which is made of solid wood varieties.
The main advantages of parquet are:
- environmental friendliness and naturalness;
- high artistic and aesthetic appearance;
- shock resistance and durability.
The color of flooring can be divided into three groups:
- light wood: hornbeam, beech, ash;
- intermediate colors: cherry, oak, alder;
- dark wood: walnut, wenge, black and mahogany.
The parquet can change its color over time: it all depends on the tree species. Some can brighten over time as others acquire a darker shade. Major changes in color occur in the first year after installation. Worth noting: parquet is characterized by seasonal size fluctuations. This is due to the influence of temperature and light on the material.
- Natural parquet flooring is considered to be massive parquet boards, block parquet, as well as their combinations.
- Block parquet is the oldest and most classic version. It is a set of planks with grooves and ridges for the laying, which consists of natural solid wood.
- Solid flooring. The main structural parts: the front side, the wear layer, tongue and groove. It differs from the parquet only by a larger size.
Lacks of natural parquet:
- difficulty in laying;
- require additional surface treatment after installation (varnishing and grinding);
- sensitivity to temperature and moisture;
- relatively high price.
- Parquet board – material made of several layers glued together. Therefore, its second name sounds as “three-layer parquet board”. There are only top layer is made of a solid wood.
- Pronto flooring – structurally similar to the floorboard, but the main difference is extruded top layer of a special process.
- Shield parquet – consists of two layers: the bottom – chipboard or laminated strips and a top made of hardwood. Usually has a square shape with grooves on all four sides. The fastening is hold by means of narrow slat inserted into the groove.
Advantages of multilayer types of parquet:
- ease of care;
- does not require additional processing;
- relatively low price;
- ease of installation.
Artistic parquet is the material which has a different shape, texture and size. Professionals are able to create works of art with curved boards manufactured individually. All artistic parquet strips are designed in advance on the special equipment.