Artificial grass is a great alternative to natural grass and can be installed in your yard without any of the hassles. It can be a better investment than natural grass, mainly because you won’t have to spend hundreds of dollars on watering and mowing your lawn. Plus, it doesn’t require any fertilization or harmful chemicals that damage the environment. But if you want to enjoy the low maintenance and effortless installation of artificial grass, you will need to know how to maintain it! Here are some handy tips on how to install and maintain artificial grass in your yard.
1) How to Install It?
Artificial grass has become popular because it is easy to install and maintain. In Perth or in Mandurah, you can hire professional installers to install artificial grass in your yard, just like in any other big city. However, if you’re from a small town and don’t have professionals available or if you just want to do it yourself, this text will help you. Luckily, artificial grass isn’t as difficult to install as some would think, just follow good these simple 4 steps:
- Mark out the area where you will be installing your lawn
- Cut out pieces along with any solid objects like rocks or trees that are in the marked area
- Lay the pieces flat, and begin to weave them together
- Fill any gaps or holes with soil and sand.
2) How to Maintain It?
Artificial grass has become popular over the years, but maintaining it can be a hassle. This is why many homeowners choose to avoid having this type of grass. But there are a few things you can do to make sure your lawn looks good all the time.
a) Keep It Clean
Artificial turf requires less water than natural lawns but still needs regular watering when it doesn’t rain for an extended period of time. If there is excessive dirt or mud on artificial turf, use a vacuum cleaner or hose with a powerful sprayer attachment to remove the excess material from the surface. For major spills such as pet accidents, wait until they have dried before using the vacuum cleaner.
b) Let It Air Dry
Even if your artificial turf is made of plastic fibers, it is best to let it air dry after you use the hose on the surface of the lawn. If you notice that some areas still have standing water after a few hours or are taking longer to dry, lift up these areas to allow the water to run off.
c) Raise It up
Artificial turf has a cooling effect during warmer weather, but this can be problematic in hotter areas with intense sunlight. You may notice that some areas are fading much faster than others due to excessive exposure to direct sunlight. If you do not want to lift individual blades of artificial turf with your hands, use a rake to raise up the entire surface. This allows you to move around easily for maintenance and change the angle of artificial grass when necessary.
d) Fix Areas in Need
If you notice that your lawn is beginning to look spotty, discolored, or just not as bright green as it used to be, there are a couple of different reasons why this could be occurring. In most cases, you will need to add additional layers of grass to fill in the gaps.
3. Equipment You’ll Need
In order to properly install and maintain your lawn, you will need a few tools. If you are hiring professional installers, they’ll already have everything you need. But if it’s just going to be you working on the lawn, here is a list of tools that you may need: a rake, screwdriver, scissors, hose, vacuum cleaner, or leaf blower.
4. What Kind of Grass Should I Get?
There are many kinds of artificial turf, here are the most popular ones:
- Polyethylene or PE: This is the cheapest type of artificial grass, however, it doesn’t have a very realistic look.
- Nylon: Nylon is a very popular choice and is much more realistic than PE. The downside to nylon is that it can be hot and uncomfortable when in direct sunlight. However, synthetic turf nylon is weather-resistant, so it will not fade in the sun.
- Polypropylene or PP: This type of artificial grass is very similar to nylon and has similar qualities. Made from recycled materials, polymer turf is eco-friendly and affordable. PP fiber is also UV stabilized which helps prevent aging in direct sunlight.
If you’re looking for low-maintenance grass that can be installed in any yard, artificial turf may be the perfect option. Follow these handy tips on how to install and maintain artificial grass in your yard, and you’ll have a beautiful lawn that you don’t need to worry about watering or mowing!