Many designers use glass tiles to decorate the walls in the kitchen and bathroom. It is not only very beautiful, but also quite practical. You can create a unique, stylish, modern interior of any room with the help of it. Interior glass tiles: photos, descritption, types – everything you want to know about them are all in this article.
Such a finishing material is made of special tempered glass with additional substances – mufflers, giving the glass transparency and the apparent heterogeneity, as well as dyes.
The properties of glass tiles
Glass tile is not inferior to ceramic in quality. When making, red-hot mass is not deformed, and it allows you to create a tile of cleaner form. Such tiles are resistant, durable and safe: there are no “cutting” edges from chips of the broken tiles. The glass itself is not afraid of water. It is chemically neutral. This finishing material can be cleaned using household chemicals.
To impart color to the glass manufacturers add dyes. If the tile is performed with a pattern, it is applied to the back of the tile in several layers. The latest one is a protective layer which is designed to isolate the decorative layer by adhesives, grouts, etc. By following this technology tile pattern does not fade in the sun and does not change its structure over a long time.
Glass tile is more hygienic than ceramic tile, because it has a non-porous surface, and therefore does not absorb odors and dirt. There are also tiles with non-slip surface for flooring.
Types of glass tiles
- glass-decor are small sized tiles (65h65mm or 100×100), which are used to create mosaics or panels;
- enamelled glass tiles. They are not transparent, colored in any color. These tiles have standard dimensions, and their thickness is 9mm;
- glass-marble – plate with color imitating marble and designed for decoration of interior walls of premises;
- glass tiles “Marblit” – tiles made of stained glass with the addition of other substances – silencing. Dimensions of tiles from 100-100mm and more. A thickness of up to 10mm. These tiles are used for the decoration of the walls, and to create window sills and shelves.
- glass “Stemalit” tiles are the type of enamelled glass tile, which has a high frost resistance and mechanical properties. It can therefore be used for lining the outer walls of buildings. Similarly to the tiles “Stemalit” produce tiles “Foamdekor”. They are also designed for lining the outer walls of buildings, but produced thicker (40mm). With their help, you can partition zones, for example in the bathroom.