At the end of the 19th century, Portuguese builders discovered material such as cork, which is still used to decorate a room, including a floor covering. Today, modern cork flooring has the following advantages:
- Resistance to moisture: thanks to a special treatment (which is important for the bathroom);
- Hygiene: the lack of moisture is an unfavorable environment for the spreading of fungus and bacteria;
- The unique flexibility of the material (people feel unusual softness and ease of walking).
- It has a unique texture (it can complement and decorate almost any interior);
- Despite the use of sets of polymer blends, natural naturalness is preserved;
- Material is considered environmentally safe;
The material is used almost everywhere. Possessing resistance to aggressive environments and moisture, it is well suited for a bathroom or kitchen. Its unique appearance and original texture can complement and decorate the interior of the living room and bedroom. Naturalness and environmental friendliness make this material an excellent option for a kids’ room. The cork covering itself has fairly smooth and pleasant to the touch surface: when walking, the floor surface is slightly deformed while you feel an unobtrusive lightness. If we take into account all the above advantages of the material, then we can safely say that the cork is an original and at the same time practical material for the decoration of an apartment or a private house.
Types and Features of the Material
In total there are two types of cork coating: floating and adhesive.
- Floating cork flooring resembles parquet flooring, which can be interconnected with the help of a locking clip, which is made in the same way as that of a laminate.
- Glue cork floors are attached to the floor (as you may have guessed from the name) with the help of glue; most often these are sheets of 300 * 300 mm in size.
To ensure that cork coating lasts long enough, it is covered not only with protective varnish, but it is treated with special mixtures, which increase strength, stability, and thermal insulation properties.
By buying cork flooring, you make a worthy choice. Indeed, having such a complex of qualities, this material is one of the leaders among all the finishing options. High cost compensates for the comfort and aesthetics that will remain in your home forever.