Kitchen is a room with its own specifics. Choosing the material for the kitchen ceiling, you need to consider all the features of this room. This article will tell readers about the use of drywall for kitchen renovation. Is it possible to DIY mount drywall in the kitchen? It’s not as difficult as it might seem. Especially, after we will review features of kitchen drywall ceiling. Pros, cons and installation advice, we think, could help many people to find out more about this material and its applicability in modern interior.
In order to the renovated ceiling pleased the owners with beauty and novelty for a long time you need to answer a few questions beforehand.
- In what cases drywall is actual on the kitchen ceiling, and when it is not?
- How to choose the material for the ceiling, given the features of the kitchen?
- What will be necessary to have to work with plasterboard?
- How to properly fix the sheets of drywall on the ceiling?
- What you need to consider when finishing the finished ceiling?
In most cases, drywall is a suitable material for installing a kitchen suspended ceiling. Its main advantage is the ability to perfectly align any, even the most curved surface. Doing it with plasterboard can be much faster and easier than using putty. In addition, the cost of material and work will be much lower than when installing a stretcher. To positive moments we can also attribute the fact that ceilings of gypsum board can be multi-level. Myriads of various design ideas can be implemented with this pliable material. Suspended construction makes it possible to arrange lighting of any complexity and beauty. Modern colors will help to give the ceiling all kinds of shades. If you choose the right primer and coating, drywall will stand any cleaning.
In which case should we think about other material for the kitchen ceiling? First of all, if neighbors from above can flood you or you can unreliable roof in the house. In such cases plasterboard will have to be abandoned. In this case, it is more appropriate to choose a tension, plastic or mirror lath ceiling.
Like any suspended structure, the ceiling of the plasterboard somewhat reduces the height of the room. If its level is already low, suspended ceilings are not desirable. In any case, do not need to do several tiers.
It is necessary to note one more minus, although conditional. Puttying, installation of plastic and rack ceiling master can perform independently. When working with drywall ceiling, a companion is required.
How to install
It is difficult to tell the technology in detail in the context of one article. Step-by-step installation instructions for plasterboard false ceilings are a separate topic. Here, the sequence of works on installation of gypsum boards will be given.
- On the perimeter of the kitchen at the installation level of the ceiling structure, UD profiles are attached. They are fastened with screws to the wall. The distance between the screws is not less than 50 cm. All profiles must be in the same plane.
- On the lines along which the CD profiles will be located, brackets are attached to the ceiling. Between them should also be at least 50 cm.
- The CD profile is inserted into the profile of the UD and is located in the opening of the brackets. We attach the CD to the bracket with self-tapping screws, each time checking the horizontal level of the profile. The entire metal structure should be in the same plane. The long ends of the staples are bent upward.
- If built-in lighting is planned, the wiring is pre-installed.
- Pre-cut plasterboard is attached to the metal crate with self-tapping screws. The hat of the screw should be drowned 1-2 mm in the plate. At the joints to the profile, two plates will be fixed at once. The seam is located in the middle of the profile.
- Seams between plasterboard slabs are filled with putty, reinforced with a building net and carefully smoothed. Hats from self-tapping screws also hide under the putty.
- Dried putty should be processed with sandpaper. After that, the finished ceiling is impregnated with a primer, dried and covered with paint.
So, it’s decided to make a suspended drywall ceiling. The next stage will be the selection and purchasing of the material. Kitchen is a room with high humidity. Drywall, used in such a room should be moisture resistant, and the profile – galvanized. To fill the joints between the slabs, it is better to use qualitative filler. The stitches are reinforced with a special net that will not allow the ceiling to crack. Do not save on the primer. It is necessary to ground drywall carefully before puttying and finishing.
Kitchen is a room with a small area. Buy the material you need with some margin. The usual recommendations (add 15% to overall area) in small areas do not work. It is necessary to add 20-25%.
In advance, it is not at all difficult to calculate the required profile length. The UD profile is attached to the walls. Its length is the length of the perimeter of the kitchen. The edges of the CD profile are inserted into the UD profile. This profile is fixed every 50 cm.
Metal staples-hangers will also be needed. They are located along the entire length of the CD profile also at a distance of half a meter from each other. Their number must also be calculated in advance.
Suspended construction is assembled with self-tapping screws. Screws will be needed of two kinds. The smallest, called “fleas” in the people, metal parts are fastened together. A drywall sheets are attached to the profile with black self-tapped screws of 25 mm length. One sheet consumes about 60 screws.
The UD profile to the wall and the clamps-hangers to the ceiling are mounted using dowels and quick-mounting screws.