The spiral staircases are impressive not only with their stunning appearance, but also are among the most practical ones. They save space and effectively decorate spacious apartments. This type of staircases is quite versatile and can be applied in almost any interior style. In today’s review, we will tell about materials, intricacies of installation and visual techniques with the use of spiral staircase as graceful element in your house.
What is a spiral staircase to the second floor?
The spiral staircase has a complex spiral shape that captures the views of others. It consists of rails, supporting elements, and also spaced wedge-shaped steps located under a certain radius.
For screw lifting as a support, you can:
- central pillar;
- bearing wall;
- the pains;
Varieties of spiral staircases: photos of luxury design options
There are 4 types of such stairs. Each of them has its own subtleties and installation features:
- A spiral staircase with simple steps of wedge shape. The narrow end of the steps is attached to the support post, and the wide one rests on the walls surrounding the ladder.
- The screw construction of the staircase can also be made without supporting walls. This type provides for console mounting of steps on the middle support monolithic column.
- screw metal stairs are among the most popular to date, especially steel with an internal support rod. It performs the function of the carrier of the basis of the whole structure; therefore it is made of a metal pipe with a thick wall in diameter of 50 millimeters or more.
- Stairs without a standard pillar are one of the most spectacular, but the most complex in their design and installation. The steps of such a ladder are fixed in bowstring, which are curved in the form of a spiral and pass into the railing.
Spiral staircase with your own hands: installation features
Whichever type of lifting you pick up, you can not do installation without the help of a specialist. In addition, you need to take into account the features of the room and the general technical requirements for such stairs:
- installation is possible in a room, the ceiling height of which will be not less than two meters;
- the angle of rotation of the spiral staircase is 270-360 °;
- height between the steps should be not less than 18-20 cm;
- The supporting part in diameter is usually in the range of 20-50 mm;
- most of the spiral staircases twist counter-clockwise, and it’s because most of us begin to rise or descend from the right foot;
- the width of first step end must be at least forty centimeters (usually 41-50 cm), the narrow one – no less than 10 cm.
The size of the lift can be completely different – wide and narrow. Here everything depends on the area of the premises. But anyway, it is important to understand that the spiral staircase occupies from 2 to 2.2 meters of the entire area.
Tip: To avoid injuries, equip your ladder with reliable handrails. It is important to observe the optimum height of the steps and calculate the correct width of the tread. In a house with young children it is better to make a closed version of a spiral staircase.
Producing a spiral staircase is not easy and responsible business. To design such a structure is desirable at the initial stage of interior design. So, you can not only avoid unpleasant surprises during installation, but also play around its design decision, provide additional functional places under it, if necessary.
As you already know, spiral staircases consist of steps, railings and supports. All of them can be made from the same material or be combined. Let’s consider different variants of each element:
Steps are wooden boards of valuable species (oak, ash, and beech), metal, glass, plastic. Bolts, welding or couplings can be used as fasteners.
Railing is made of metal, a combination of metal and wood, hardwood (glued).
Support should be manufactured from wood, stone, brick, steel or asbestos cement pipe.
Spiral staircase in interior design
This type of staircase is popular not only because it saves space, but also differs by its refinement, richness of design and even can change the visual perception of space.
Metal (forged) spiral staircases
Forged metal stairs will become an elegant decoration of country houses. The abundance of design options allows you to inscribe such an element not only in the classic style of the interior, but in any other one.
Wooden spiral staircase
Wooden stairs are in great demand. Such designs ennoble the interior; give it a special atmosphere of home warmth and coziness. The wood by itself is very versatile in terms of decorating the premises and, depending on the design, perfectly suits any style. Therefore, a minimalistic wooden staircase will look great both in eco-style house, as well as a luxurious design with carved patterns – in classical, Empire style.
Stairs with glass elements
If you are dreaming of creating an easy, pleasant atmosphere, give preference to the glass steps that will complement the wooden railings and metal balusters. This option is an ideal solution for modern or high-tech style.
Aesthetic function of elegant design
A twisted rise in luxurious private houses often performs an aesthetic function. Near it, the original console with live flowers or plants looks impressive. In apartments, such a ladder saves space, and under it you can arrange additional storage space.
The screw structure can also act as an art object – an unusual color, interesting shape, with LED backlight or a beautiful decor.
By the way, the stairs of dark tones visually seem bigger and more spacious, but if they contrast with white walls, they will act as an effective element in the interior. If you maintain the integrity of the composition with a few details (curtains, pillows, accessories), then the space will noticeably change.
Without a doubt, the spiral staircase is that element of the interior that captivates with its beauty, grace, style, is the main highlight of the design. It does not matter if the staircase is made to order or with your own hands, the main thing is to observe all the technical nuances, and it suits your interior. Only then will the real atmosphere of style, warmth and coziness reign in your house.