Contemporary interior design style – it is a modern space that does not fit the constraints imposed by a minimalist style and high-tech. Compliance with current notions of comfort and convenience combined with the cult of available to everyone materials and the possibility of continuous eclecticism of the interior.
- Simply and tastefully
- A little bit of monumentality
- Main features
The solid appearance of premises in accordance with this style is not planned as a complete product. You still have the opportunity to buy any carpet or accessories you like.
To arrange the dwelling in Contemporary style is simple. It permits wide use of the furniture and textile of mass production, welcomes the mobility of decorative elements arrangement, and the ability to make changes depending on your mood.
- The compact arrangement of things accompanies proportionality – no visual effects, just neat functional stuff, followed by interesting accents.
- It is desirable to minimize the furniture, designed for storage, books, utensils – built-in cupboards and closets, niches, and shelves. You have the right to unusually decorate it. For instance, a white-matte finish closet can be covered with big hieroglyphs or Chinese paintings.
- The contemporary styled interior welcomes a constructivist beginning in combination with elements of baroque, classic, modern. For example, balanced “islands” in the bedroom: the bed and plasma TV, surrounded by side tables with nice-looking accessories located on them.
- It is worth a light styling element – drawings on the wallpaper and curtains, lamps, and vases indicate the passion of the owner of a particular era.
Basic furnishings of Contemporary style are simple silhouettes of durable materials focused on traditional products, oriented to modern notions of convenience.
- When furnishing an apartment in Contemporary style, do not abuse the decorative stuff. It is better to attract attention with a combination of concise shapes.
- Feel free to combine shelves and couches, furniture shelves, and built-in shelves in the same room. The only criteria are the harmony of the general form and functional conditioning.
- this style gives preference to the common materials – MDF, white metal, frosted glass, colored plastic.
- Outwardly simple things should have the “flavor” – primitive designer’s headboard decoration, round mirror, repeating the shape of an arched window.
Each thing is in its place. And this is certainly striking. Contemporary style in the interior means nothing superfluous. Only the necessary simple things, solidity, and tactility of which leave a feeling of a quality living environment.
Main Features of Contemporary Style
This feature immediately catches your eye when you first get acquainted with the style of Contemporary. The main colors of the interior are black and white, their shades in the form of a wide range of gray. However, these colors do not confine the palette of the interior. It is possible to use brown, dark blue, beige shades. Here everything depends on your taste and choice. But monochromaticity should be seen in all the details of the interior: the surface of walls, ceiling, floor, furniture, textiles.
Monochromatic color background can be compensated by the variety of textures present in the interior of the room. A gloss of glass, steel, acrylic is perfectly combined with natural wood and fabrics.
Furniture in this style should be multifunctional. This feature allows you to preserve the space and the feeling of freedom in the room. This is facilitated by all sorts of built-in closets, niches that hide a variety of home appliances (TVs, speakers, fireplaces, refrigerators). The best functionality is manifested in the interior of the kitchen. Here, like in no other room, the prevailing principle is “everything that can be hidden from an outsider must be hidden.” There are many options for implementing this principle, but the most common is the use of furniture for a special design. More details about such furniture can be found here.
In addition to multifunctionality, interior furniture in the style of Contemporary is characterized by smoothed shapes and straight lines. Finishing is missing, everything looks simple and, at the same time, elegant. The color of the furniture is predominantly white, although a variant with light gray shades is possible, which does not in the least disturb the harmonious combination of light and dark tones. The presence of other colors is allowed, but only as accents.
We have already mentioned the simplicity of style. This feature should be viewed even in the decor and accessories. Their number should be small. They should be simple in form and content. They also have to withstand the accepted monochromaticity. Even pictures, prints, photographs should support this concept of style, that is, be black and white.
Decor and accessories will allow you to breathe life into the possible sensation of the “technogenicity” of the atmosphere in the room. But still, you should not forget about the simplicity of style and not get carried away by the amount of decor and accessories.
It can be your favorite elements of nature or other things that dispose of memories or even philosophical reflections.
The contemporary style is not suitable for any room. It will be an excellent option for small rooms where space is appreciated. And of course, an apartment with an interior in this style is quite an affordable project for people with an average income, since it does not require extra spending.