Japanese Style in the interior of apartments, houses, and restaurants is a sleek design, a special atmosphere, and harmony. Japanese interior is minimalistic, simple, and austere. Its ascetic beauty and rather unusual for non-Japanese charm make this style popular in the interior of houses, and in the design of restaurants, hotels, and offices.
- Japanese style for any type of premises
- Style features
- Japanese style for houses and apartments
- Living room
- Decor ideas
- Japanese style for non-residential premises
The popularity of sushi and rolls, and the desire of today’s consumers to enjoy a refined, sophisticated atmosphere of the Japanese interior – all make the sushi bars and cafes the favorite place of leisure in all the cities of the world. The Japanese-style interior is ideal for designing a sushi bar. Warsaw and London, Moscow, Los Angeles, Paris and Oslo, Beijing and Canberra – Japanese culture are of everybody`s interest.
- Ascetic environment;
- Functional low-height furniture;
- Only natural materials (wood, stone, bamboo, rice paper) and fabrics (cotton, silk);
- Any room (office, hotel, restaurant, house) in the Japanese style is the territory of the harmony of man and nature;
- Natural colors: shades of brown and green, beige, white, black, and bright red accents;
- The basis of style is emptiness, spaciousness, and functional separation of space.
Design in the Japanese style is the concentration on Eastern philosophy and a biocentric view of the laconic simplicity and beauty of natural materials. This style is ideal for lovers of oriental culture, for lovers of an ascetic and at the same time stylish environment, for those who are able to enjoy the natural harmony.
Japanese style implies a minimum of furniture.
- Low sofa upholstered with high-quality natural materials (leather, cotton, linen);
- Built-in wardrobes (fitted wardrobes mostly);
- Low table made of dark brown or black wood;
- The bed in Japanese style is narrow and rigid enough. Futon (thick mattress), which removes in the closet for a day is used instead of a bed in Japan;
- Chairs are often missing, they can be replaced by low puffs, pillows, or mats. But if the chairs are there in the room, they are low and certainly made of wood, so as the table;
- The presence of light partitions is acceptable.
This style is characterized by smooth, clean lines, shapes rigor, and consistency of design.
- The interior in the Japanese style will be organically complemented by Japanese blinds or curtains in the Japanese style. They are often decorated with hieroglyphs, pictures of chrysanthemums, cherry blossoms, or Mount Fuji. Windows may remain uncurtained.
- The living room floor can be carpeted: strict geometric shape, discreet color, fabric, or bamboo.
There are not many textiles in the Japanese interior. Even the tablecloth on the table is often replaced with bamboo napkins and the carpet with straw mats.
Decor and Ornamentation
- Traditional Japanese houses are decorated only with a flower arrangement and a scroll with a haiku or a painting.
- Modern interior in the Japanese style can be ornamented with decorative fans, miniature bonsai trees in ceramic pots, flower arrangements (ikebana), Japanese lamps Akari, made of wood and rice paper, elegant vases, and pottery for the tea ceremony.
- You can order a painting in Japanese style – light, as if a scenery, blurred with water, traditional prints depicting women in kimonos, and fearsome samurais.
- Decor should be placed widely, it should not be much – the Japanese style does not accept the confusion, chaos, and clutter.
- The ceiling in the interior decorated in Japanese style should be either light and smooth, or wooden, with visible beams.
- Wall sheathing materials can be made of wood or cork, or even be smooth and covered with white paint. You can also use pictures, paintings, or wallpaper to deal with walls. Wallpaper in Japanese style can be decorated with images of blossoming ramifications, autumn leaves, dragons, carps, and hieroglyphs. Thorium – ceremonial gates, facing the Japanese temples may be also present on the wallpaper.
- The floor can be decorated with natural materials: rattan, bamboo, wooden planks, and covered with straw mats (tatami) or discreet carpet. Japanese style allows you to zone area by changing the layer of the floor: within a single room, you can form the recreation, sleeping, working, eating areas by raising or lowering the floor.
Japanese style in the interior of the apartment, office, or restaurant is spaciousness, a minimum of furniture and soft, diffused light filtering through the shades made of rice paper.
If you like the atmosphere of peace and tranquility, the austerity of the situation and concise design, natural beauty, and natural materials, your natural choice would be Japanese style. Photos will help you to appreciate the harmony of this style.
Japanese style was born in the Land of the Rising sun (thanks, cap!). The constant threat of earthquakes made the lighthouses that do not crumble but fold down, shaken by the force of nature, most actual. Thin walls made of wood and rice paper and internal partitions of the same material are ideal for an easy, safe, and beautiful property.
In Japan, it is assumed that the beauty is in natural harmony. Therefore, the Japanese interior is not overloaded with detail. The house is perceived as if a part of the natural landscape, a place that allows you to enjoy the scenery of surroundings, the beauty of spring-flowering trees, colorful bright summer or fall season in a tranquil ambiance.
Functional simplicity and austere elegance, originally alien to other cultures, making the Japanese style in demand on the one hand and difficult to grasp on the other.
Currently, imitation of Japanese style is more popular: low tables, hieroglyphs as a decoration of furniture, textiles, wallpaper, bonsai, ikebana.
To order the design of the apartment or house in Japanese style means selecting the discreet beauty, exquisite oriental style, and minimalism.
- A room in a Japanese style is filled with air, and light, and permeated with harmony and the spirit of natural beauty and naturalness.
- Bedroom in the Japanese style – it is a low bed, restrained color palette of interior and built-in closets or chests (things can also be hidden in concealed niches;
- Japanese style in the living room is the exquisite charm of the spacious rooms, decorated with natural materials, the freedom, and an abundance of dim light.
- The bathroom in the Japanese style combines understated elegance and functionality. Ceramic tiles with Japanese patterns or wood paneling, low rectangular or round bathtub, a minimum of decoration, and, as a rule, a contrasting combination of dark brown and beige (rarely white) colors. Also, Japanese style is well-known with its annex and she shed constructions to place the bathroom and other auxiliary rooms.
- The kitchen in the Japanese style is decorated with imitation of screens (headset facades), often decorated in different shades of wood with the addition of bright colors (yellow, green, red, orange). A low dining table goes in combination with the low chairs or benches. The kitchen in the Japanese style is always the original decision and designer solutions.
- On the territory of a country house, a Japanese bath (ofuro) will have an interesting look: a big barrel filled with water to the rims with a seat inside. Bathing in such a sauna is considered to be relaxing, useful, and enjoyable.
- If the villa or townhouse is decorated in the spirit of the Land of the Rising Sun, a portion of the territory adjacent to the house will have the organic look arranged in a Japanese rock garden, a place of relaxation, communion with nature, and reflect on the meaning of life.
- For a country house or cottage, you can also order the design of a tea-house pavilion for the Japanese tea ceremony: rustic, unusual, and stylish.
The correct way to design a bedroom is to start with the floors and work your way up. Mat-tatami is ideal for covering the floor. Traditional tatami mats are made of rice straw and are very comfortable to walk without shoes. If you cannot find a tatami mat to cover the entire floor, simply place a small tatami mat in front of the bed.
The furniture that is used in oriental culture has low legs. Therefore, a Japanese-style bed for a theme room should be as low as possible to the floor. Complete the bed with bamboo pieces and place the base lacquered dresser beside it. Instead of a bed, you can put the mattress directly on the floor.
When choosing furniture, it should be remembered that all pieces of furniture in the bedroom must satisfy exclusively functional needs. Therefore, do not clutter up space, leave only the essentials. The interior design of the Japanese-style bedroom room does not tolerate excess.
Decorative items made from natural materials such as bamboo, rice paper, or wood will help to decorate the room. Show off the grace of the bed and chairs with silk pillows, or hang silk curtains in your bedroom. Rice paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling will also add authenticity to the room. Find one or two pictures of nature or cherry blossoms.
Minimalism in the details of the decor and simplicity of forms is the hallmark of this ethnic trend. Therefore, it is worth excluding unnecessary details from the living room interior, such as photographs, paintings, figurines, and modern metal and glass decor items. In the living room, the walls must be light. You can purchase white or cream-colored Japanese-style wallcoverings on a fabric or vegetable base.
You can soften the severity and add more comfort with the help of traditional plants (bonsai), inscriptions from hieroglyphs, images of sakura twigs, as well as authentic accessories (katana sword). Details such as a screen, curtains, and curtains for a Japanese-style window with contrasting images will come in handy.
The living room interior includes bamboo or laminate flooring. Such a floor will last a long time, it is practical to use, it is easy to clean, and is not afraid of hot objects.
This is the key to creating the right surroundings. Oriental-style room design is based on authentic details:
- ink wall painting;
- special furniture and dishes for tea ceremonies;
- screens with artistic painting;
- large wall fans;
- ceremonial weapon.
It is important not to overload the interior with ethnic decor and subtly feel the line between style and kitsch. Otherwise, the same katana scabbard will be perceived as tasteless.
The culture of the Land of the Rising Sun is saturated with the worship of nature. The best way to convey this respect is to infuse the environment with traditional plants: bamboo, bonsai.
You can choose any kind of greenery (palm trees, orchids), but remember that bright floral arrangements in Japanese apartment design are not welcome. The plant should look elegant and natural.
- Seafood restaurants in Japanese style will achieve an appropriate look: the room can be decorated with pictures of revered Japanese carp and beautiful water flowers – lotuses. Natural finishing materials, soft, cozy lighting, and a special atmosphere of elegance and laconic simplicity will allow visitors to relax and enjoy fine cooking.
- Japanese Style in the interior of the sushi bar is natural and harmonious. How else to arrange the place, which serves Japanese dishes? There is also a trendy in Japan, modern in Europe but little known in the CIS and Russia type of Japanese restaurant – Kite (Kaiten Sushi Bar) sushi conveyor, where the meals are served on a conveyor belt with the tables located along with it: comfortable, practical, modern. The US is also feeling the influence of the Japanese kitchen, so it`s more than actual to order the Japanese design for your new bar.
- An interesting idea is to order the Japanese interior design style for a tattoo because Japan knows the art of tattooing for a long time (the first mention of a tattoo related to the history of the legendary Emperor Jimmu, who ruled in the VI-V century BC.). Japanese style tattoo is one of the most recognizable in the world: a single idea of design patterns is the large size of tattoos, dynamic shapes, the complexity of the image.
- Order office design in the Japanese style, can someone who prefers harmony before luxury and natural beauty before the ostentatious bling. This office looks both simple and representative.
Why Japanese Style?
– Japanese style – it’s elegance, combined with flair, ambiance austerity, minimalism, and at the same time – the beauty and special charm.
– The interior in Japanese style looks unusual, elegant, simple, and thoughtful at the same time (look at the photos of interiors: functional, minimalistic, and very nice);
– This style (because of its rigor and simplicity) is almost universal: it is suitable for house and sushi cafes, offices and hotels, beauty salons, and even museums.