Japanese style in the interior of apartments, houses, restaurants is a sleek design, a special atmosphere and harmony. Japanese interior is minimalistic, simple and austere. Its ascetic beauty and rather unusual for non-Japanese charm make this style popular in the interior of houses, and in the design of restaurants, hotels, offices.
The popularity of sushi and rolls, the desire of today’s consumers enjoy a refined, sophisticated atmosphere of Japanese interior – all this makes the sushi bars and cafes the favorite place of leisure in all the cities of the world. Japanese-style interior is ideal for designing a sushi bar. Warsaw and London, Moscow, Los Angeles, Paris and Oslo, Beijing and Canberra – Japanese culture is of everybody`s interest.
Japanese interior design style of houses, apartments or non-residential premises is:
- Ascetic environment;
- Functional low-height furniture;
- Only natural materials (wood, stone, bamboo, rice paper) and fabrics (cotton, silk);
- Any room (office, hotel, restaurant, house) in the Japanese style is the territory of the harmony of man and nature;
- Natural colors: shades of brown and green, beige, white, black and bright red accents;
- The basis of style is emptiness, spaciousness and functional separation of space.
Design in the Japanese style is the concentration of Eastern philosophy and biocentric view in a laconic simplicity and beauty of natural materials. This style is ideal for lovers of oriental culture, for lovers of ascetic and at the same time stylish environment, for those who are able to enjoy the natural harmony.
Japanese style implies a minimum of furniture.
- Low sofa upholstered with high-quality natural materials (leather, cotton, linen);
- Built-in wardrobes (fitted wardrobes mostly);
- Low table made of dark brown or black wood;
- Bed in Japanese-style is narrow and rigid enough. Futon (thick mattress), which removes in the closet for a day is used instead of a bed in Japan;
- Chairs are often missing, they can be replaced by low puffs, pillows or mats. But if the chairs are there in the room, they are low and certainly made of wood, so as the table;
- The presence of light partitions is acceptable.
This style is characterized by smooth, clean lines, shapes rigor and consistency of design.
- The interior in the Japanese style will be organically complemented by Japanese blinds or curtains in the Japanese style. They are often decorated with hieroglyphs, pictures of chrysanthemums, cherry blossoms or Mount Fuji. Windows may remain uncurtained.
- Living room floor can be carpeted: strict geometric shape, discreet color, fabric or bamboo.
There is not much of textiles in the Japanese interior. Even the tablecloth on the table is often replaced with bamboo napkins and carpet with straw mats.
Decor and ornamentation
- Traditional Japanese houses decorated only with a flower arrangement and a scroll with a haiku or a painting.
- Modern interior in the Japanese style can be ornamented with decorative fans, miniature bonsai trees in ceramic pots, flower arrangement (ikebana), Japanese lamps Akari, made of wood and rice paper, elegant vases and pottery for the tea ceremony.
- You can order a painting in Japanese style – light, as if a scenery, blurred with water, traditional prints depicting women in kimonos and fearsome samurais.
- Decor should be placed widely, it should not be much – Japanese style does not accept the confusion, chaos and cluttering.
- The ceiling in the interior decorated in Japanese style, should be either light and smooth, or wooden, with visible beams.
- Wall sheathing materials can be made of wood or cork, or even be smooth and covered with white paint. You can also use pictures, paintings or wallpaper to deal with walls. Wallpaper in Japanese style can be decorated with images of blossoming ramifications, autumn leaves, dragons, carps, hieroglyphs. Thorium – ceremonial gates, facing the Japanese temples may be also present on the wallpaper.
- The floor can be decorated with natural materials: rattan, bamboo, wooden planks and covered with straw mats (tatami) or discreet carpet. Japanese style allows you to zone area by changing the layer of the floor: within a single room you can form the recreation, sleeping, working, eating areas by raising or lowering the floor.
Japanese style in the interior of the apartment, office or restaurant is spaciousness, a minimum of furniture and soft, diffused light filtering through the shades made of rice paper.
If you like the atmosphere of peace and tranquility, the austerity of the situation and concise design, natural beauty and natural materials, your natural choice would be Japanese style. Photos will help you to appreciate the harmony of this style.
History of Japanese interior style
Japanese style was born in the Land of the Rising sun (thanks, cap!). The constant threat of earthquakes made the light houses that do not crumble but fold down, shaken by the force of nature, most actual. Thin walls made of wood and rice paper, and internal partitions of the same material are ideal for easy, safe and beautiful property.
In Japan, it is assumed that the beauty is in a natural harmony. Therefore, the Japanese interior is not overloaded with detail. The house is perceived as if a part of the natural landscape, a place that allows you to enjoy the scenery of surroundings, the beauty of spring flowering trees, colorful bright summer or fall season in tranquil ambiance.
Functional simplicity and austere elegance, originally alien to other cultures, making the Japanese style in demand on the one hand and difficult to grasp on the other.
Currently, imitation of Japanese style is more popular: low tables, hieroglyphs as a decoration of furniture, textiles, wallpaper, bonsai, ikebana.
Japanese style in the interior of houses and apartments
To order design of the apartment or house in Japanese style means to select the discreet beauty, exquisite oriental style and minimalism.
- A room in a Japanese style is filled with air, light and permeated with harmony and the spirit of the natural beauty and naturalness.
- Bedroom in the Japanese style – it is a low bed, restrained color palette of interior and built-in closets or chests (things can also be hidden in concealed niches;
- Japanese style in living room is exquisite charm of the spacious rooms, decorated with natural materials, the freedom and abundance of dim light.
- Bathroom in the Japanese style combines understated elegance and functionality. Ceramic tiles with Japanese patterns or wood paneling, low rectangular or round bathtub, a minimum of decoration and, as a rule, contrasting combination of dark brown and beige (rarely white) colors.
- Kitchen in the Japanese style is decorated with imitation of screens (headset facades), often decorated in different shades of wood with the addition of bright colors (yellow, green, red, orange). Low dining table goes in combination with the low chairs or benches. The kitchen in the Japanese style is always original decision and designer solutions.
- On the territory of a country house Japanese bath (ofuro) will have interesting look: a big barrel filled with water to the rims with a seat inside. Bathing in such a sauna is considered to be relaxing, useful and enjoyable.
- If the villa or townhouse is decorated in the spirit of the Land of the Rising Sun, portion of the territory adjacent to the house will have the organic look arranged in Japanese rock garden, a place of relaxation, communion with nature and reflect on the meaning of life.
- For a country house or cottage, you can also order the design of a tea-house pavilion for the Japanese tea ceremony: rustic, unusual and stylish.
Japanese style in the interior of business premises
- Seafood restaurant in Japanese style will achieve appropriate look: the room can be decorated with pictures of revered Japanese carp and beautiful water flowers – lotuses. Natural finishing materials, soft, cozy lighting and special atmosphere of elegance and laconic simplicity will allow visitors to relax and enjoy fine cooking.
- Japanese style in the interior of the sushi bar is natural and harmonious. How else to arrange the place, which serves Japanese dishes? There is also a trendy in Japan, modern in Europe but little known in the CIS and Russia type of Japanese restaurant – Kite (Kaiten Sushi Bar) sushi conveyor, where the meals are served on a conveyor belt with the tables located along it: comfortable, practical, modern. USA is also feel the influence of Japanese kitchen, so it`s more than actual to order the Japanese design for your new bar.
- Interesting idea is to order the Japanese interior design style for tattoo, because Japan knows the art of tattooing for a long time (the first mention of a tattoo related to the history of the legendary Emperor Jimmu, who ruled in the VI-V century BC.). Japanese style tattoo is one of the most recognizable in the world: a single idea of design patterns is large size of tattoos, dynamic shapes, the complexity of the image.
- Order office design in the Japanese style, can someone who prefers harmony before luxury and natural beauty before the ostentatious bling. This office looks both simple and representative.
Why Japanese style?
– Japanese style – it’s elegance, combined with a flair, ambiance austerity, minimalism, and at the same time – the beauty and special charm.
– The interior in Japanese style looks unusual, elegant, simple and thoughtful at the same time (look at the photos of interiors: functional, minimalistic and very nice);
– This style (because of its rigor and simplicity) is almost universal: it is suitable for house and sushi cafes, offices and hotels, beauty salon and even museum.