Art Deco or “Star Style”
Art Deco style in the interior design of apartments, houses, office, salon or restaurant is a successful co-existence of the Egyptian and Indian elements of African art and the Empire style. Such mixing of components always looks very colorful and boldly.
Art deco interior is characterized by its elegance and ease. It is also stands out by the union in the whole composition of very exotic and everyday materials. Perhaps, it is due to these features art deco style is one of the most popular interior styles.
Important! Art Deco and Art Nouveau are two completely different styles! It is also important to note that the “Art Nouveau”, with its winding, smooth outlines and explicit tendency to asymmetry, is the ancestor of “Art Deco” style.
The appearance and a brief history of the Art Deco Interior Design Style
Art Deco appeared in France (Paris) in the time gap between the first and second world wars, and then instantly become widespread in the United States (today in architecture and design, there is a concept “American Art Deco”) and Europe. The name of the style achieved after the exhibition of decorative art (1925), held in Paris.
In the 20s – 30s of the last century many domestic and public interiors were designed according to Art Deco in America and Europe.
It is remarkable! Previously, Art Deco was called “sleek modernity ” or “modernity zigzag” or “jazz modernity.”
The main requirements in creating the interior in the style of Art Deco
Houses in the style of Art Deco require compliance with certain rules of design:
- Firstly, all the furnishings (furniture Deco, accessories and materials used) should look presentable and expensive;
- Secondly, the room in the style of Art Deco should be styled in certain colors;
- Thirdly, the whole decor should be carefully selected. There must be recognized an Art Deco style in the interior, the room should not create the impression of chaos and “bad taste.”
Characteristic features of Art Deco
In the process of Art Deco interior design designers use the following elements:
- Motives of modernity: flowing lines which reminiscent the waves and floral forms;
- Valuable exotic materials: crocodile leather, ivory, pearls, precious wood;
- Custom paintings in Art Deco style with the image of women, desert and palm trees, dragons and other fantastic animals;
- Art Deco designs and Art Deco ornamentation are decorative fanciful, geometric, often constructed on the color contrast;
- Art Deco mirror is usually framed by massive frame of bronze color;
- Chandeliers are always luxurious, refined and quite voluminous.
Dwelling premises in Art-Deco style. Interior details
Art Deco style in the interior of houses, cottages, apartments is quite popular today. Not only because of its eclecticism, but originally selected combinations of colors, intricate lines and clarity of forms.
- Art Deco can be brightly expressed in the interior of the bathroom through the use of contrasting tiles, mosaics, gold-plated and bronze accessories. Bathroom in the Art Deco style is the use of high-quality and expensive sanitary engineering, marble and precious stones. You can use vases with ornaments, fountains as accessories;
- The bedroom in the style of Art Deco involves the creation of a luxurious, but comfortable environment. “To set style” in the room help showy accessories, lamps, Art Deco and intelligently selected textiles. Curtains with drapes, silk or satin pillows and blankets will look excellent in the bedroom;
- Kitchen in the style of Art Deco can be decorated with silver-plated or gold-plated candlesticks, paintings and original vases. The facades of kitchen furniture are often made from natural wood and decorated with showy handles. The working surface may be made of natural marble or stone;
- Art Deco living room at the designing stage requires maximum attention, because this place is doing a great part of the free time. As an advocate of furniture with comfortable sofas and armchairs. As a rule, they are quite simple, and only emphasize the high cost of natural upholstery fabrics. Luxury handmade carpets, silk or velvet curtains, elegant light fixtures are decorating the interior of the living room.
The benefits of choosing art deco style for decoration
In addition to the apartments and houses, the office type spaces, shops, restaurants, beauty salons and other non-residential facilities can also be decorates in the style of Art Deco. This bright style will be a true adornment of any room. In addition, non-standard approach to the design of commercial facilities will help in buyers attracting.
- Art Deco interior design of the beauty salon certainly will be remembered: luxurious framing mirrors, crystal chandeliers, soft to the touch upholstery couches and armchairs. Barber (hairdresser) in the style of Art Deco is no less spectacular: you can attract the attention of customers with exquisite decorative accessories and paintings in expensive frames;
- Design office in the Art Deco style allows effectively delineate the work area from the area of communication and recreation: you can use lighting and color contrast for such purposes;
- Art Deco designer`s boutique – it’s always nice, interesting and unusual. To order design of the boutique in this style means to increase the competitiveness and the number of buyers several times. It should be noted that the style of Art Deco in the interior of clothing store must necessarily be created by a professional: in either case the effect is often counterproductive;
- Art Deco style in the interior of hotels, restaurants, night clubs today is one of the most demanded.