Probably no one will argue that the kitchen can be called the heart of the house. This corner of homeliness often becomes a gathering place for all households, guests are invited here. We communicate with family and friends here. Therefore, the very atmosphere of the kitchen should be warm and cozy, and the renovation of this room turns into an important, responsible event. Especially if it is being made by hand.
In order for renovation works to be finished in a short time and without severe emotional upheavals, it is worth observing a certain sequence of actions when performing them. Some items can be omitted, but experts do not recommend changing their order.
How to Make DIY Kitchen Renovation
- Drawing up a design project of the kitchen. Carrying out repairs without a pre-planned plan is fraught with big troubles and overpayments. Budget formation will allow to fit repair in a certain financial framework and to know exactly what can be expected in the end.
Design project can be made independently or ordered from professional designers. In the latter case, according to your wishes you will be provided with several options for the project, from which you can choose the most suitable for yourself. At this stage, you should consider the color scheme of your kitchen, the arrangement of furniture in it, the stylistic design, lighting, etc. You can make cosmetic or major renovation, but you can redesign the room beyond recognition.
- Dismantling the old decoration and cleaning space. Having decided on the design, it is necessary to completely free the kitchen from furniture and household appliances. This is the very moment when you can get rid of all unnecessary things, old cabinets and appliances. Then do the dismantling of the finish from the walls, floor and ceiling.
- Plumbing work. It is a very important stage of DIY kitchen renovation. It is especially true if the plumbing equipment requires complete replacement. Pipes can be installed as close to the wall as possible, or hidden inside it. It is better to replace the cast iron radiator with a modern aluminum construction or with convectors.
The pipeline can be made of the following materials: polypropylene, metal-plastic, copper. Each of these materials has its advantages:
- polypropylene pipeline does not require installation of gaskets and cuffs, has a low thermal conductivity, is not subject to corrosion, and also has a reasonable price. It can be installed with a welding machine;
- pipes made of metal and plastic are also not susceptible to corrosion, have a rigid structure, low heat transfer. Their installation is very difficult and requires a large number of components;
- copper pipes has the highest rates of durability, can withstand very low and very high temperatures, resistant to deformation and other external factors. In addition, copper has antibacterial properties. The disadvantage of copper pipes is their high price.
- Electrical work. When replacing wiring, please take into account the saturation of the kitchen with a variety of electrical appliances. It is more expedient to install additional power line with a sufficient number of sockets. Lighting, besides the main source, should be complemented with spotlights to highlight all necessary areas in the kitchen. If you make a complete replacement of wiring or installation of gas equipment, then it is better to turn to professionals.
- Replacing the window. If there is a need to replace windows, then you need to decide how you see the new oen – plastic or wooden. Plastic is more durable, resistant to temperature extremes and other aggressive factors, does not require additional care. In addition, PVC-profile in combination with glass gives excellent thermal and sound insulation. High-quality wooden windows are more environmentally friendly, natural and “breathing”, but they are also much more expensive.
When replacing the window, consider all options for airing the room. Install the most convenient to use sash.
- Installing the door. At your discretion, you can equip the kitchen door or make an arch. Doors are also plastic or wooden. Plastic materials are more resistant to external factors: they do not crack, are not deformed, are more hermetic, moisture resistant, have high sound and thermal insulation. The price of plastic doors is also very democratic. True, by naturalness and environmentally friendly security, they are very inferior to wooden counterparts, and even the latest technologies make it possible to process wood in such a way as to maximize its performance.
The arch can be made of drywall or you can make a wooden frill – it all depends on how well this element fits into the overall interior.
- Alignment of the walls. Do-it-yourself kitchen renovation involves a choice of two ways to level the walls: using drywall or plastering. Each method has its pros and cons:
- the installation of drywall is quite simple and does not take much time, it allows you to hide large surface drops and create a uniform flat wall. The con of drywall will be a significant reduction in floor space, in addition, the wall of drywall is hollow and noisy;
- when leveling the walls with plaster, you will avoid unnecessary gaps between the wall and the finish, you will get a monolithic smooth surface. True, the decoration of walls with such materials is impractical in rooms with large differences in surface level due to the laboriousness of the process and high material costs.
- Decorating the splashback. You can’t do without it in the kitchen – it serves both as protection and decoration of the space between the working surfaces. Traditional ways of finishing the splashback are:
- plastic and MDF panels. The most budget option to repair the kitchen. If you choose the right color scheme panels, you get a very practical coating that is easy to lay and for which is convenient to care for. The joints between the plates are closed with special corners;
- tile. It is more durable and hygienic finish splashback option. True, it is also time-consuming in installation and requires large financial costs;
- artificial stone or mosaic is a non-trivial version of the design of the kitchen. It is exclusive but expensive. Entrust the laying of these materials to professionals.
If you crave for more original solutions, you can opt for the splashback of glass or mirrors.
Wall decoration is a great opportunity for the manifestation of your imagination.
The simplest option would be their painting. Simple choice, but it is unlimited in features. The walls can be painted in one color or perform an unpredictable combination of several colors. You can also depict an original ornament on the wall. Gloss paint is easier to clean, but if there are flaws on the surface, it will accentuate them. It is better for the kitchen to choose matte or semi-matt coatings.
DIY repair of the kitchen is often not complete without wall coverings. Their choice is diverse. For the kitchen it is better suited vinyl or non-woven wallpaper. They are easy to clean, very durable and protect walls from dust, dirt, grease, UV rays and moisture. Non-woven wallpapers are also very eco-friendly, the walls covered with them let the air through and “breathe”. Another option is glass fiber. In addition to the above qualities, it also has high fire resistance and can additionally reinforce walls.
A more expensive way to finish the walls in the kitchen is to plaster them. Plaster can be structural or textured. It is an excellent opportunity to create a real work of art in your kitchen.
Let’s mention ceramic tiles at last. Their colors are very diverse, and care is very simple. Laying tiles on the walls will take quite a long time, but the coating will last you for more than a decade.
There are also quite a few options here, but the main requirement to the ceiling in the kitchen is resistance to high humidity and ease of maintenance. Designers usually use the following materials for ceiling finishing:
- Polystyrene tile. It is a budget option for the repair of ceilings. Very easy to install, does not reduce the height of the room, moisture resistant, durable. However, the tile has some drawbacks – it is ecologically unsafe and not very presentable;
- paint. It can be applied on plaster, concrete or brick. The paint dries quickly, and the cost of painting the ceiling is low. This coating can not be called durable, it requires constant refreshing and maintenance;
- drywall has many advantages: easy processing and installation, fire resistance, soundproofing, aligns the ceilings and hides the wiring of spot lighting. The disadvantage of this coverage is a decrease in the height of the room;
- two-level (rack) ceiling also hides well all flaws and various communications under its surface. Hygienic, resistant to moisture and temperature changes, fire resistant and has good sound insulation. The downside of such a ceiling is the change in the height of the room, as well as its difficult dismantling;
- suspended ceiling is waterproof, unpretentious to care, durable, hides all defects of the surface and communication. It is resistant to accidental flooding by neighbors above. The disadvantages of coating include its high cost, high risk of mechanical damage, as well as the need for installation by professionals.
It is also possible the execution of various options for multi-level ceilings.
It must be well aligned. As for the flooring in the kitchen, there are several options:
- Laminate attracts consumers with its unpretentiousness, affordable price and easy installation. The coating is resistant to damage, is easy to clean and is not afraid of stains. The only thing, it is necessary to choose a high-quality, moisture-proof material, and use a sound-insulating substrate when laying;
- parquet flooring is an exclusive covering for the kitchen. It is highly demanding for attention and care. It can’t withstand such factors as fat, mechanical and thermal effects;
- linoleum. Its main advantages are moisture resistance, high wear resistance and ease of maintenance;
- cork floor is very warm, pleasant, comfortable, eco-friendly floor type. It is not afraid of dust, dirt, mildew, mold, moisture and other external factors. However, it does not tolerate aggressive chemistry and mechanical cleaning.
- tile is the best option for finishing the floor in the kitchen. The material is moisture resistant, durable, easy to clean, has a wide range of both texture and color. It is recommended to make a warm floor under the tile.
Kitchen set can be made to order (bespoke kitchen) or you can purchase the standard version, numerously represented in the modern furniture market. The color range of furniture sets is just limitless. Household appliances in the kitchen are also selected for the owner’s requests and can be adapted to any design style of the room. Kitchen furnishing is an important moment in the proper organization of the whole room. Of course, everything depends on the area of the room, but knowing some tricks, even the smallest kitchen can be arranged comfortably.
DIY renovation of the kitchen very often requires large financial investments and time. It is very important to approach it responsibly and carefully think over all the details. But when this process is over, you will enjoy life to the full. It is because the convenience in cooking, the comfort of taking meals, as well as the opportunity to have a place to relax with family and friends will pay back for all your efforts.