What is Eclectic interior design style?
Unusual and original eclectic style in the interior of the house, apartment, office or hotel is a mixture of styles, a combination of different directions, it is freedom, imagination and creating a new one. Eclectic interior is great for modern people who want to create and are not afraid to show their courage and go beyond the usual. Memorable eclectic style in the interior of the apartment, home, office or salon will create an island of comfort and a unique mood in the heart of the metropolis: every big city around the world obey the charm of eclecticism.
Eclectic style in interior design is:
- The mixing of two or three (sometimes four) styles;
- Eclecticism basis, as usual, classical or historical styles or their pastiche;
- Arrangement in the eclectic style allows the use of various decorative materials: wood, stone, metal and glass, fabric. Plastic fittings and furniture will also be appropriate if they blend harmoniously with the background and trim;
- In contrast to the modern styles – Kitsch and Fusion, Eclectic does not provide an abundance of bright colors. Typically, the background color is light, the furniture and decor are of natural colors (both saturated and pastel shades);
- Stylistic elements (furniture, decor, colors, texture, materials) must be organically compatible, balanced. Basis of the Eclecticism is harmony. This style is not an experiment (as Fusion) or challenge (as Kitsch). It is the creation of new based on the combination of known styles;
- This style is intimate and original, innovative and with elements of classic and vintage. It is characterized by a combination of functionality and rigorous shapes and soft lines.
The apartment in an eclectic style looks comfortable, beautiful and unusual. The basic rule of interior in this style is to choose two or three styles (historical styles predominately) as a base and blend their characteristics. If you try to mix five or six, or more styles, you`ll get Kitsch.
To create a harmonious interior in this style, you need to have an impeccable taste and fundamental knowledge of different styles` basics. Therefore it is necessary to turn to professionals.
- The interiors of the apartments in the eclectic style look harmoniously thanks to the use of different styles of furniture. The basic requirements which are putted forward by the eclectic style: the furniture should be functional, comfortable and beautiful.
- It is acceptable to combine a luxury dining table and chairs with a “Modern” buffet-style with oriental carpet. Proportionality, elegance and special atmosphere of freedom and harmony – all these distinguish the style.
- Furniture can be modern and vintage, expensive and affordable, elegant and simple.
- Textile products help to create a certain mood: Eclectic gravitates to the simplicity of natural fabrics and classic oriental style, to geometric and ethnic prints. Tissue surface without prints is also relevant: plain curtains, upholstery, bedspreads.
- Make an apartment yours, give it a lived-in appearance is possible by means of bright cushions, fancy plaid, beautiful curtains, original carpet.
Finish and decoration
- Eclecticism in the apartment or office, lounge or hotel is inconceivable without decorative elements that reflect the spirit of certain age (usually historical) or country (usually exotic).
- Since the design in eclectic style often implies a bright decor elements, textile items, the background color of the walls is usually light (white, cream, light beige, etc.). Furniture can be light (beige, white, light gray, etc.) or dark: not a black but intense blue, brown, have shades of wine, brandy and others.
- Interior design in the style of Eclecticism is complicated by the fact that it is not easy to balance between the mix of styles and chaos. Eclectic does not accept the confusion, brutality, deliberateness in the design.
History of Style
Eclectic as an architectural style emerged in the first half of XIX century. Its main principles are departure from the rigid scope of classical architecture and increasing the importance of the functionality of buildings. Each building`s appropriate for its unique style.
Eclectic entered the realm of interior design as a form of rejection of rules and canons, as the direction of self-realization, freedom of expression and an attempt to combine all the most beautiful, comfortable and interesting, that was created in the scope of the existing styles.
The word “eclectic” can be translated from Greek as “favorite/selective/best”.
Where does Eclectic appropriate ?
Eclectic style in the interior of an apartment or office is freedom, creativity and originality. This style is perfect for decoration of both residential and non-residential premises.
Eclectic concept in the design of an apartment or a country house includes creation of a cozy space filled with the things that are relevant to the landlord: souvenirs from travels, things that had inherited or received as a gift, fashion and vintage, artsy and simple altogether.
- Eclectic style in the interior of the kitchen – it’s nice and useful bright little things, light background, and modern appliances. The special charm and personality of such kitchen is given by unusual laying tile (floor, walls, kitchen apron) original chandelier (crystal, stylized classical or forged), themed pictures on the walls. Eclectic kitchen interior looks organically and cozy.
- Universal character of this style is attractive: eclectic style is appropriate for any room. Eclecticism looks organically in any room(kitchen, bath, living room, children’s bedroom). Eclectic Bedroom implies a comfortable furniture, a large bed with a bright veil, a wooden chest of drawers and wardrobe with photo printing. Light background and dark wood furniture, combined with understated decor and textiles is appropriate here.
- Eclectic Living Room – it is a comfortable sofas and armchairs, low shelving for books, simple furniture and a bright, memorable decor: paintings and vases, statues and pictures, boxes and live plants, original lamps and cushions.
The room in the style of Eclecticism can be strict or bright, discreet or impressive, but it’s always a territory of imagination and expression, freedom and comfort.
Eclectic style of the interior is appropriate not only in the design of the apartment. The hotel, decorated in this style will look cozy and unusual. In such a place you can relax, escape from everyday worries, gain strength for further achievements.
Office in eclectic style is suitable for companies involved in travel, the organization of events and original confessions for an advertising agency or design studio.
Eclecticism in the interior – it’s originality, style, personality and creativity. This is ideal for those who want to get away from the strict rules of known trends while maintaining his own style. Eclecticism is the choice of creative people, extraordinary people.
Eclectic style in interior design is:
- The combination of simplicity and complexity;
- Mixing recognizable elements of different styles into something new, original, original;
- Synthesis of sentiment, themes, flows.
So, as we can see from such detailed description of this modern and timeless design style, it is in demand of people, who cares about their image and don`t like excessive showiness. The design ideas of Eclecticism would never lose their actuality due to universalism of the concept. One can confuse this style with ancient styles, such as baroque, or call it an extravagant neoclassicism, but it will carry its unique and polymorph appearance through the ages.